I’ve finally made some decisions about what to sew for the Black & White Challenge!
I’ve decided to use some black and white fabric from my stash and tackle the Colette Iris shorts. The fabric I’m using has a pretty black and white floral print and has some stretch to it, so I thought it would make a nice pair of shorts. If I have enough left, I’ll try to make a pencil skirt too.
I’m making several changes to the Iris shorts, so I’ve made two muslins so far. That’s commitment, people! I really don’t want to muck up this fabric because it’s really nice, and since it’s been in my stash for a while, I’m not sure I could buy more. So I’m being extra-cautious and have made two muslins to try to get the fit and my changes just right.
I’m making the following changes:
- adding 1/2″ length
- moving the pockets to the side seams
- moving the invisible zipper from the side seam to the rear
I have pretty narrow hips, so I’m also grading the hips down so the shorts will fit me in the waist and not look like clown-wear in the hips and thighs.
I’m sure to an experienced seamstress, these tweaks would be a piece of cake. But for someone like me, who is still very much learning, they’re KIND OF A BIG DEAL.
I think, with this second muslin, I’m now ready to transfer my changes to my pattern and cut into my black and white fabric. I’m still a little nervous about getting the facings and the zipper to work out just right, and I can never quite turn up a straight hem, but we’ll see how it goes.
Wish me luck.